Does the spleen have follicles?

Does the spleen have follicles?

The spleen contains lymphocytes and lymphatic lumps known as follicles. Lymphocyte formation takes place in germinal centers in the white pulp. The spleen, like the lymph nodes, responds to bacteria and other antigens that enter the circulation by releasing phagocytic cells known as macrophages. These cells migrate through blood vessels into the surrounding tissue where they destroy infected cells and release chemicals that trigger inflammation.

Lymphocytes are immune system cells that play a crucial role in protecting organisms from infection. Two main types of lymphocytes exist: B cells and T cells. B cells can produce antibodies that bind to foreign particles or cells that have been marked with a tag that identifies them as foreign. This binding prevents further interaction between the body's immune system and these particles or cells. T cells act against viruses, bacteria, protozoa, and cancer cells by triggering an immune response.

The spleen is one of the largest lymphoid organs in humans and plays an important role in immune function. It has two main functions: filtering blood to remove waste and abnormal cells, and storing red blood cells before they are needed at physical activity. Men are likely store more blood cells than women because they are required to store more red blood cells during periods of intense exercise or when suffering from anemia. Additionally, men have more lymphocytes and platelets due to the effect of testosterone on bone marrow production.

What cells are in the white pulp of a spleen?

B and T-lymphocytes are immune cells found in the white pulp of the spleen. T-lymphocytes are in charge of cell-mediated immunity, which is an immunological response that requires the activation of certain immune cells in order to combat infection. B-lymphocytes are responsible for producing antibodies that fight off foreign particles such as bacteria or viruses. The white pulp contains the largest number of lymphocytes in the spleen. Lymphocytes account for about 95% of all splenocyte cells. The remaining 5% consist of red blood cells, platelets, and small numbers of neutrophils and macrophages.

The white pulp is divided into zones with different functions: the periarterial zone, the perivenous zone, and the marginal zone. The periarterial zone lies adjacent to the arterial supply of the spleen and is where most of the B-lymphocytes are found. The perivenous zone surrounds the venules that lead away from the central artery. This is where most of the T-lymphocytes are located. The marginal zone is the transition zone between the periarterial and perivenous zones. It contains many lymphoid follicles that are areas where B-cells can interact with their targets.

Lymphocytes enter the spleen through special channels called sinuses. These channels are so named because they resemble the holes in a sieve.

Does the spleen destroy white blood cells?

The spleen is a component of your lymphatic system, which fights illness and maintains the balance of your bodily fluids. It has white blood cells, which fight pathogens. Your spleen also regulates the volume of blood in your body and eliminates old and damaged cells. It makes sense that removing or damaging your spleen would be dangerous for your health.

When you have a splenectomy, you surgically remove your spleen. This can happen when you need to remove the spleen because of trauma or to prevent the spread of cancer. After this operation, your body does not have any way to fight off infection, so you must take antibiotics before and after the surgery to prevent infections from developing.

Damage to your spleen can also occur with injuries to the area where the organ resides in your chest. A splenic injury needs to be treated by a specialist - often an orthopedic surgeon - because there are many ways such as cuts, bruises, and fractures that could result in damage to your spleen. The injured person's symptoms may include pain in the upper left side of the stomach area, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, shortness of breath, confusion, or blurred vision.

If you have a splenectomy or suffer from splenic damage, your body cannot produce white blood cells, which means that you will need to supplement this aspect of your immune system.

About Article Author

Christine Dunkle

Christine Dunkle is a family practitioner who has worked in the field of medicine for over 20 years. She graduated from the University of California, San Diego and went on to attend medical school at Yale University School of Medicine. She's been practicing medicine for over 10 years and specializes in preventative care, pediatrics, adolescent health care, and women’s health care.

Disclaimer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to

Related posts