When you inhale alcohol vapor, you get a quick and strong "high." Alcohol is nearly instantly delivered to the circulation and brain after absorption through the lungs; the effects of the alcohol are noticed very rapidly. Small quantities of breathed alcohol can cause a person to become far more inebriated than drinking the alcohol. Larger quantities can produce toxic effects.
The vapor from liquid alcohol enters the lungs where it is absorbed into the bloodstream. The blood carries the alcohol to all the organs of the body where it becomes distributed by body tissue just like any other type of drug. People can get drunk on alcohol alone but they usually drink mixed drinks with ingredients that contain alcohol too. The stomach acids in these cocktails break down some of the alcohol into smaller molecules which are easier for the liver to process. Also, people who drink regularly may have defenses built up over time that protect them from the effects of alcohol.
Alcohol affects everyone differently. The amount you can handle depends on your weight, gender, age, and medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and chronic lung diseases. If you feel tired or confused when drinking alcohol, stop immediately until your symptoms go away. At first, small amounts of alcohol may actually help reduce pain and fever resulting from illness or injury. However, excessive alcohol use can lead to drunkenness, which is defined as being noticeably affected by alcohol.
People often think that since alcohol is safe enough for medicine, it must be harmless.
Inhaling alcohol fumes might cause alcohol to enter your system. People who inhale alcohol vapors become inebriated relatively rapidly because the alcohol is absorbed directly into the brain. In addition, heated alcohol vapor can cause lung damage. Do not breathe in the fumes if they are hot or if there is any chance of them being ignited.
Taking more than the recommended dose of aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may also lead to intoxication. The combination of alcohol and aspirin can be deadly. Avoid taking both medications at the same time.
The consumption of alcohol in any form will affect a person's blood glucose level. Drinking too much over a period of time can cause hypoglycemia. This is more likely to happen if you have diabetes. You should discuss any concerns with your doctor before starting any form of alcohol consumption.
The amount of alcohol that can be absorbed this way is very small, however; only about 1% of those exposed actually becomes intoxicated.
The human body is very efficient at removing alcohol from the bloodstream. The rate at which it does so depends on the concentration of alcohol in the blood and also on other factors such as age and weight. If you drink a lot of alcohol over a short period of time, then you put yourself at risk of developing a drinking problem. Such problems can occur even if you do not feel drunk after you eat or drink something containing alcohol.
People who drink alcohol excessively may do so because they are trying to achieve some kind of effect. For example, people who smell alcohol and then drive home assume that it will help them think more clearly. This is not true; actually, the opposite is true. Drinking too much can have serious consequences for your health.
Drinking too much causes you to lose sleep due to feeling sleepy while sitting down for work or school tomorrow. It also causes memory problems and reduced coordination. If you drink alcohol frequently and heavily you are more likely to develop a relationship with drugs or chemicals.
Alcohol vapors are created by boiling it or pouring it over dry ice. Alcohol vapor that has been heated or super-cooled can cause lung damage.
The blood levels of alcohol that result from inhaling its vapors are about the same as if someone had drunk the same amount of liquid alcohol. Because alcohol enters your body when it is absorbed through your lungs, doctors used to advise patients with respiratory problems not to drink anything else while they were smoking marijuana or using hashish because both drugs suppress breathing. However, modern medical research has shown that moderate use of marijuana does not appear to cause long-term harm to the lungs. As for hashish, recent studies have shown that users do not absorb much more of the drug through their lungs than through other parts of their bodies.
In conclusion, drinking alcohol by itself is not likely to cause harm to your lungs. However, if you smoke marijuana or hashish along with alcohol, you should know that this combination may lead to slowed breathing. Whether you will experience any other health effects depends on how much you consume, how often you use these drugs, and what kind of marijuana or hashish it is.